Chickpeas or garbanzo flour make the egg in this frittata recipe filled with roasted farmers market veggies. Easy, vegan, gluten free, dairy free and soya free with the added boost of anti-inflammatory turmeric spice. Makes for a very hearty and satisfying brunch, lunch or dinner dish.
This week I opened my CSA box to find a bunch of lovely purple dragon carrots along with my other summer veggies. The carrots are a dark purple burgundy hue with a sweet bright orange fleshy interior. These visually stunning natures masterpieces are no less than works of art just by themselves! As you can tell, I am smitten and have come down with a bad case of “carrot” love –itis☺ If you can’t find these feel free to use the rainbow carrot bunch found at your local market for a colorful frittata.
Don’t forget to use Kala Namak (pink salt) found in most Indian grocery stores if you prefer an eggy flavor. I also used nutritional yeast for a added cheezy flavor.
Lightly roast the veggies
Prepare the chickpeas flour eggy batter
Pour the eggy batter in a hot oiled cast iron pan. Press the roasted veggies down into the batter. Bake in the oven till golden brown.
Garnish with dressing and toppings of choice
- ½ pound red potatoes (cubed) with their skin on
- 1 bunch purple dragon carrots (halved, lengthwise)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chickpeas flour
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, shredded fine
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp Kala Namak
- ¼ tsp celery seeds
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cube the potatoes and cut the carrots in half lengthwise.
- Toss in olive oil and spices and place on a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Roast the veggies in the oven at 425 degrees for ~25-30 mins till veggies light brown and crispy on the outside
- Prepare the “eggy” mix by blending all ingredients for it. Make sure there are no lumps and it is a smooth batter.
- Heat a cast iron pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the prepared “eggy” mix to it. Press the prepared roasted veggies on top.
- Finish frittata by baking in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 mins till golden brown. Should be firm to touch and cooked all the way thru. When pierced with knife at center, knife should come clean.
- Cool before cutting into 4-6 slices. Garnish with dressing and toppings of choice.