Smoothie bowls are a perfect and delicious way to get you up and running in the morning. These spoonable smoothies are versatile powerhouses of nutrition and come together within minutes. A word of caution though–they are almost too pretty to eat!
You can come up with your own favorite combinations of seasonal fruits along with nuts, seeds and even edible flowers. Nuts and seeds contain essential fats and have important nutritive and medicinal properties. I do recommend the extra step of soaking and sprouting the nuts and seeds before use. According to Ayurveda, soaking makes them more digestible, and sprouting increases “prana” or “life force”. To me, the best part about smoothie bowls are the fun toppings. Over the years I have used everything from fresh fruits, goji berries, “raw” cacoa nibs, toasted coconut, chia seeds and even edible flowers to pretty them up.
This quick and easy recipe is my current favorite and is guaranteed to get you out of your breakfast rut.
- 2 medium ripe persimmons (stems removed, seeds scooped out)
- 1 medium ripe pear (stems removed and seeds scooped out)
- ⅓ cup sprouted almonds (Prepare by soaking “raw” almonds in water for 24 hours, rinsing in between with fresh water till they germinate)
- 1 orange, juiced
- Water (if needed)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until your smoothie reaches a thick, spoonable consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl and add toppings of choice. You could use goji berries, walnuts, chia seeds and fruit.